January 8, 2013

How many times can you "Crock-pot" in one day? (stuffed peppers and Greek yogurt, separate)

Two times I have Crock-potted today. Hmm, maybe I should capitalize on making Crock-pot a verb. Anyway ... before I get to the stuffed peppers (my own Paleo creation!), let me begin with the Greek yogurt fiasco that is happening in my kitchen RIGHT NOW.

It is 10:58 p.m. My eyes want to be closed but they are open. My fingers? Oh my fingers, they are typing. This is bad news. My lovely 13-month-old? Yeah, she will not care that her mommy started a silly yogurt experiment without reading the fine print about how long the whole journey would last. Tomorrow will come too soon. Sigh. Back to the yogurt.

I've made yogurt before. Greek yogurt. Actually our first summer in Sicily, I would put the yogurt on our front windowsill to finish the setting process. Yes, it's that hot here in the summer. Before moving to Sicily, I would just by plain yogurt and strain it overnight in the refrigerator. You're welcome -- it can be that easy!

Now that we're going mainly Paleo, I thought we'd have to say goodbye to the rich, custard-like "yo-goor" forever because of the dairy don'ts. Apparently there are some Paleo folks who deem Greek, full-fat yogurt acceptable. Thank you, "those" folks, we are in! Again, have I fully perused the fine print on this topic? Not yet. But for now, I know something about its live/active cultures and that it's Greek (joke here) make it okay in limited amounts.

So I Google "Crock-pot Greek yogurt" because I figure it's got to be way easier that making it on the stove top, and how would I do that now with a toddler, etc. It even had "foolproof" in the title! Wrong. Well, kind of.

Dump milk and stir in powdered milk. Easy. Set on low for way too long, if you ask me, when you're beginning at 7:30 p.m.! Walk away. Get tired. Watch "Biggest Loser." Return to Crock-pot. Milky milk still not warm enough. Repeat last two sentences several times. Say goodnight to husband. Finish John Grisham novel. Begin blog post about said process.

It is now 11:15 p.m. Guess what's still not hot enough?! This is now the easiest, hardest thing ever. I'm exhausted. We'll see how this all turns out tomorrow because I'm about to add the 1/2 cup culture-laden yogurt into the mix and try to cool the big, beastly pot down to a suitable setting temperature. Wonder how long THAT will take? Crock-pot meet refrigerator.

Finally, I will have to put whatever consistency I've created into containers, and leave them in the oven with the oven light on overnight. What's now ironic? It won't be done setting by the time I'm up in the morning. Please, oh please, make lots of yummy, active-culture Greek yogurt for my family! Make that my consolation for losing out on treasured hours of sleep.

I guess stuffed peppers will have to make its own post after all. Yawn, and goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment